ROUTE 98 PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS PROJECT HAS BEEN COMPLETED
Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFB) combined with pedestrian crossing signs are installed at specific crossings to alert drivers of the presence of pedestrians. When pedestrians activate the push button, yellow LED lights begin a flashing sequence to alert drivers to the presence of pedestrians. The RRFB remains unlit when not in use.
RRFB units were installed to make access to the Fairview School District campus safer for pedestrians coming from Evergreen Farms and Buckingham Place.
How DRIVERS should respond to RRFB:
- LOOK for flashing beacons, indicating the presence of pedestrians.
- PREPARE TO STOP when you see the flashing yellow lights.
- STOP before the crossing and remain stopped until all pedestrians have cleared.
- PROCEED after all pedestrians have cleared the crossing.
Remember, motorists are legally obligated to yield to pedestrians at a marked crosswalk according to Pennsylvania law.
How PEDESTRIANS should utilize RRFB:
- PUSH the pedestrian button to activate the flashing yellow lights.
- LOOK TWICE to ensure motorists have stopped and make eye contact with the driver before crossing the street.
- CROSS while remaining aware of traffic in each direction.
Remember, pedestrians are required to exercise care when entering a crosswalk by not stepping in front of an approaching vehicle which is close enough to constitute a hazard according to Pennsylvania law.